Ok….now there’s more to worry about. All those nano-particles (and other toxins)
from sunscreens. If you’re a follower of
the Environmental Working Group’s “Cosmetic Database” (www.cosmeticdatabase.org) you know
that the site ranks thousands of personal use products on their toxicity. Don’t want to bore you with the gory details,
suffice to say that what we put in touch with our skin (shampoo, deodorant,
makeup, soap, etc.) sinks in people!! Yes…it does. Our skin is our largest organ and it soaks up just about anything and everything that we put on it.
Doesn’t it seem right that we would want to limit the load on our skin
and bodies? Especially, since we’re
subjected to so much toxicity in our air, water and food?
I’m not really a proponent of sunscreen because I firmly
believe we need sunshine for Vitamin D, for happiness and for just feeling
good. If you don’t want to risk sun damage—STAY
OUT OF THE SUN DURING THE PEAK HOURS (generally between 10 and 3).
So….where was I? J Ok, well I was looking
for a sunscreen for my face because I’m getting tired of all these brown spots
popping up as well as a few keratoses (flaky skin patches). Took a whip thru
the EWG site and found these low-rated products that are also hyperallergenic:
PRODUCT
|
EWG
Rating
|
Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sunscreen with Hydresia, SPF40
|
1
|
Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple Sunscreen Lotion, SPF50
|
2
|
Coppertone Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion, SPF50
|
2
|
Kiss My Face Kids Natural Mineral Sunblock Lotion SPF30
|
2
|
Banana Boat Natural Reflect Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF50+
|
2
|
Wanting the least toxic, I chose the KMF Natural Mineral
Sunscreen with Hyrdresia, SPF40. Like
other reviewers of the product, I have to mix it with whatever moisturizer I am
using (aloe, Africa oil, etc.) but it blends fine. Doesn’t irritate my face and seems to be
doing the job. And, it’s also fairly
inexpensive….great!!